BACK

Dakota Hawk

Repairs:  Various Dates

Here is one of the two Dakota Hawks which were donated to our EAA800 chapter.  A local EAA chapter is not allowed to own flying aircraft so as soon as a project is declared airworthy it has to be sold or donated.  In our case, EAA800 set up a separate entity which is called HAWK AVIATORS and EAA800 will donate the airworthy aircraft to them.

The EAA has a "Young Eagles" program which gives local youths introductory flights.  The purpose of Hawk Aviators is to provide a follow up program to give those Young Eagles an opportunity to learn about and help rebuild aircraft with the ultimate goal being able to provide economic flight instruction to our Young Eagles.

   
First Project: Instrument Panel  
   
Unfortunately I didn't take many photos of this project and all the few I did take suffer from excessive glare.  Basically Hawk Aviators wanted to change out the old, red instrument panel with one covered with carbon fiber and to change the instrument layout.  
   
Second Project: Air intake Bezel  
   
Another member had started this project but life got into his way so they asked me to finish the Bezel.  He had already completed most of the "plug" so all I had to do was finish mounting it.  I added a small layer to the back side of it for a "run out" area.
   
Since this was a one-off (hopefully) part and to save time, I decided to try to seal the edges of my added foam with silicone caulk.  It actually worked out OK. 

After the plug was finished I vacuum bagged a lay-up of three laminations of carbon fiber.

   
The finished part.  I will try to add a photo of the Bezel on the aircraft after it has been mounted in place.  Initial fit-up seems to be good.
   
Third Project:  Reconfigure the Lower Cowling  
   
Here is my friend Norm cutting a couple of new holes (either side of the blue tape) for the new exhaust pipes.  Hawk Aviators changed the engine and routed the exhaust directly down and out of the cowling.  The exhaust had previously been routed back and down through the slots directly above Norm's legs.  So the club asked us to create the new holes and to fill all the old unwanted holes.
   
Here a couple of the hole have been filled and I am ready to design a new area for the cooling area to exit from the cowling.  The original plan had been to make the exit two times larger than the air inlet and I had planned to make the cut out square.
   
After more research, I found that the exit area should be eliptical and it's size should not be more than 1.33 times the cooling air inlet size.  In the meantime we decided to add a deflection lip in order to direct the prop wash from swirling into the cooling air exit.

(I I think I learned a lot on this project!)